Thursday, December 4, 2014

5 THINGS MY WIFE DOES THAT I TAKE FOR GRANTED

I sit here trying to write a speech for tomorrow. Everything has gotten in the way this week, preventing me from doing so. The topic is around stress. So guess what, I'm not stressin.

Just as I sit down to focus my thoughts, I get a call from my wife, with the baby screaming her lungs out in the background. It's been a rough few weeks. Our one year old has been sick for a long time and the only thing we can do to soothe her is hold her, constantly. Today is an extremely long day for me, 430am-8pm, leaving my wife home the entire day to fend for herself.

So, my thoughts start racing about my appreciation for her. Although I say I never take her for granted, I'm still human. Let's be real, I do. And although I like to think that I'm nowhere near your typical husband and father, I woke up every feeding and diaper change for the last four years just so you know, there are still many things Amber does as a mommy that I don't.

Because it's not about me, and I think she could use a little boost right now, I focus my thoughts on her instead.

Here are 5 THINGS MY WIFE DOES THAT I TAKE FOR GRANTED:

1. CUTS OUR KID'S FINGERNAILS AND TOENAILS 
It's not that I don't want to, I just don't think about it. Ok, and I have this fear that I'm going to hurt them. But I can't even get a chance to get the clippers out because it's something mommy thinks about before I do, and therefore gets it done before I even think about it.

2. WASHES OUR KID'S BED SHEETS
Again, it's not that I don't or wouldn't want to, it's just another one of those things that mommy is on top of. She knows it's a priority to keep the bed bugs away and she has their sheets in the wash every week or so to do just that.

3. CHECKS ON THEM EVERY NIGHT BEFORE SHE GOES TO BED
Every. Stinkin. Night. For the last four and a half years, there has not been one night that Amber has not quietly opened their bedroom doors to walk in and peek at their snoozing faces, tuck them in, and make sure their night lights and sound machines aren't malfunctioning. Again, I love doing it too, but most of the time she's already done it before I had the chance. And you can't open the door twice or else it increases their chances of waking up.

4. TEACHES THEM HOW TO READ
I read Gio's books to him and half the time I don't even know what I read, because we read it so many times and I know he's just going to keep asking me for another one as he manipulates his way to prolong his bedtime! Amber takes time to spell out words with him. With her finger under the letters she says "Cu cu cu, ah ah ah, teh teh, Cat. That's right. Cat." Her and her preschool teaching self!

5. SHE WORRIES
You know, I get on her about her worrying. "Where's it gonna get you?" "Just let it go, we'll figure it out." But wonder if she didn't worry? Wonder if she did just let these little things go? Where the heck would we be?

Our kids would be long nailed, bed-bugged, illiterate little fools for a long time.

These are just little thoughts that just came to my mind.  I share to get some brownie points from my wife and because I know there are other husbands out there who need to be reminded too.

It's not about me.
But I probably need to get back to that speech.
Coach Theo



No comments:

Post a Comment