Sunday, January 11, 2015

WHY THIS INTENTIONAL LAZINESS WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE, STEP 3

RESHAPE YOUR MIND TO GET IN THE BEST SHAPE OF YOUR LIFE

MAIN POINT: TAKE TIME TO RETREAT, YOUR LIFE AND WIFE WILL THANK YOU FOR IT

At the end of my favorite Christmas movie, It's A Wonderful Life, the main character George Bailey runs back to his home, family, and life with an entire new zest for living. He sprints so fast, it's almost like he can't get there fast enough.

That's how I feel after I retreat.

This weekend I spent the night with my wife in one of my favorite places, Amish country. There are so many reasons why I love going there but the explanation will take an entire blog in itself. Sitting by the toasty fire in our room I get the five minutes of stillness that I yearn for, that we all yearn for, even if we don't' recognize it yet, and I reflect on how important, crucial, paramount it is to get these moments to be alone and just be, with God.

You guys know me, I absolutely love my life and my job. I never feel like I work a minute doing what I do. But even still, it's important to get away from the routine to reflect, rejuvenate and recharge. It's a huge success tip from Jesus. Check out Matthew 6:6 (The MSG): "Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and as honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace."

When you ISOLATE, you REVELATE.

I think I made up that word, but revelation happens during isolation. Things are revealed to you, that you may have never expected or even realized you needed, until they come.

You don't have to get to a hotel to enjoy this process, but it helps me immensely.  If I stay at home or at the gym I'll get distracted with other things to do.  So for the way my brain works, I need the separation entirely.  The thoughts get shut down. I just am.  The floodgates of creativity burst open.

And I can objectively process these three questions:

1. AM I DOING WHAT I'M TRULY SUPPOSED TO BE DOING WITH MY LIFE?
So I love my life and my vocation, but checkpoint time---let's make sure it's really where I'm supposed to be. Does it sit right? Does it sound right? Does it feel right? Are you doing it just to do it or because you love it? Deep down inside to your core, are you sticking true to who you are and who you're supposed to be?

2. AM I WILLING TO LEAVE IF CALLED TO?
Ok, so I love everything I do and truly feel like I'm fulfilling my calling, but if called elsewhere, am I ready to drop everything and follow?  This doesn't mean that I don't love what I do and do it wholeheartedly, but it doesn't define me, or own me, or control me. If I have to leave it I can because I'm not dependent on it or trying to use it to fill a void of some sort. Most importantly, this state reminds me that I'm here because of God and I TRUST him so much that if He calls elsewhere, I'll leap without hesitation. #WhenCalledFollow

3. WHAT CAN I DO TO BECOME A BETTER MAN NO MATTER WHAT?

  • No matter where I am, how do I keep progressing?
  • Should I work on another fitness certification?
  • What video can I get my hands on to enhance my skill as a coach?
  • What can I read?
  • What Christian brothers have I met with lately to push me to be a better husband and father?
  • Anyone I need to reach out to?
  • What little things do I need to add to the gym?
  • Am I allocating my time right, balancing my home and work life?
  • What needs eliminated?
  • What needs added?

Hey, these are just some ways that I use my retreat time. It may be entirely different for you. And I want to be honest here, sometimes it can be completely overwhelming depending on where you're at in life. If you're in a good place, it can be exciting. If you're in a bad place, it can seem like major overload. I've been in both situations before. 

No matter what though, use the newfound consciousness to fuel the fire inside you.  Don't dwell on it or leave it behind you.  Take notes. Take action. And start making things happen immediately.

Eating my farm fresh eggs and homemade Amish bread at breakfast, I stare out the window into the open fields. A farmhouse sits on the hill.  The unreal tasting buffet restaurant just down the driveway.  A little meat and cheese market to the left, a bakery right in front. From what I know about this community, they all came together as a family to build all of this with hard labor and callus hands. Sometimes we think they don't have much, but they have plenty.

There's just one thing missing.....

A gym.

It's not about me,
Coach Theo












No comments:

Post a Comment