Sunday, February 23, 2014

the 3 running workouts that you need to do


Running is paramount.


I love running and consider it an essential part of getting in excellent shape and conditioning.

Running doesn't always have to be boring though.  There are plenty of ways to spice it up and make this ancient form of exercise challenging, stimulating, and most importantly, extremely effective for cardiovascular health & performance and fat-loss.

Here are just three of some of my favorite types of runs:

1. HILL SPRINTS.
Find a big, steep hill, or set the treadmill to a 13% incline. Run up as fast as you can for :15 seconds. Walk down, or if you're on a treadmill jump to the sides, for :45 seconds of rest. Rest is critical. You want your heart rate to come back down so you can explode back up the hill full speed again. Complete 15-22 times.

2. MEDIUM INTERVALS: 3 min on, 3 min off.
Run as fast as you can for 3 minutes, then walk for 3 minutes of rest. When I say fast, I mean it should be to the point where you can barely make it through the last minute.  If you need a longer rest after some of the reps, feel free to take it.  Again, you want to feel ready to go hard at the start of the next interval. Complete 4-6 times.

3. CARDIAC OUTPUT RUNS.
Or also known as long and steady Aerobic runs.  Head out for a comfortable, relaxing, 30-60 minute run. Even though it's hard to go slow, because our mentality always wants hard and fast, this is where a lot of magic happens. In general, your heart rate should never go higher than 150.  If you don't have a heart rate monitor, an easy way to measure is what we call "conversation pace." You should be able to talk to someone at this pace.

If you notice something about these workouts, they provide variety and tap into all of your energy systems. You'll reap so many benefits from mixing up your routines like this. These workouts are great to mix in on your off days from our classes. 

Realistically, with hectic schedules, you may only hit 2 runs each week.  In that case, I would recommend #3 as a guarantee, then pick between #1 and #2.

My new running system helped me run faster than ever last year. I beat my times in all of my races, including my fastest 5k since high school, at 60lbs heavier.  It's why I outlined all of these runs, plus more, in MYFASTEST5k Program.

It's that time of year.  If you want the entire program, check it out at: www.shop.fitmeupfitness.com

Life is not about me,
Coach Theo

No comments:

Post a Comment