Monday, March 17, 2014

DANG YOU THIN MINTS: HOW I WON'T LET YOU WIN

It was a stare down between me and the box of cookies. These delicatessens arrived a few days earlier, along with three friends: Tagalongs, Samoas, and Savannah Smiles.  Those weren't a big deal. I broke and ate some, but I bounced back quickly. I wasn’t going break again today.  I refused to let this green box win.

I put the thin mints back in the cabinet, but then I got them out again. I walked around the living room trying to stay busy with the kids, but then I went back into the kitchen. They were there, in the house, a few feet away, and my mind knew that.  The sweat broke out, the frustration kicked in. “I don’t need them right now. But just one isn't going to hurt.”

If a trainer tells you they never eat junk food, they’re lying, or they’re not human. And you ever think that I could eat whatever I want just because I’m a trainer or because of this so-called high-metabolism that everyone talks about but in reality does not exist, then you’re mistaken. I have to work hard and be strict. But since we had the baby four months ago, I haven’t been.   So after my war with the chocolate covered crack wafers, I had to sit down and re-visit the basics.

HERE ARE THREE THINGS YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WHEN TRYING TO EAT BETTER:

I. THERE CAN BE NO GREY AREA.
Generally, you have to make your goals black and white, leaving no room for interpretation. If you give yourself any wiggle room, you know what happens. You’ll keep going there because “I’m allowed.” “I told myself I can have one slice.” “A can of pop isn’t going to make me fat.” While in the literal sense, these statements are true. Our mind doesn’t process things the same.  You give it an inch, and it will take seven more.

So you do have to be more concrete sometimes.  I say sometimes because you may have a handle on certain foods better than others. Maybe you can have a slice of pizza and not want the whole pie. But for others, you’ll have to stay completely away.  I can’t just have five thin mints. It’s either eat the entire log, or don’t eat them at all. There’s no meeting in the middle.

MY ACTION STEP: I'M GOING TO EAT 5 THIN MINTS AND THEN THROW THE BOX AWAY.   

II.  STOP SAYING THE M-WORD
What is moderation? It's a vague word that leaves you directionless. Even Webster's doesn't know how to define it: "the quality of being moderate; restraint; avoidance of extremes or excesses; temperance." But what is extreme?

The problem with this word is it’s all relative. My moderation is different than yours, and someone else’s is different than mine. Trust me, I've used this word far too many times before and I'm guilty as charged. I'm watching how I use it now.

I may consider moderation one time a week; you may consider it once a day.  My moderation may be a cup, yours may be two bowls.  Again you have to be clear and direct here. Yes, life is short and you do have to enjoy it by indulging in the wonderfully, masterfully created, make you chase that first high every time you eat just one bite thin mints every once in awhile.  But when and where and how much?

MY ACTION STEP: I WILL EAT A LOG OF THIN MINTS ON FRIDAY NIGHT FOR MY SPLURGE DESSERT. 


III.  WILL POWER IS NOT ENOUGH
I tried putting the thin mints in the freezer. Guess what I soon found out?  They taste even better frozen! That didn't work.  You know what does? Don't bring them into the house in the first place. We always say, IF YOU DON'T BUY IT YOU WON'T EAT IT.

But I can't say no to a sweet, little, innocent girl trying to raise money for her girl scout troop. So my new tactic is either buy the cookies and give them to someone else----terrible, I know. Or give the girl scouts the money and tell them to keep the cookies. Or......

MY ACTION STEP: BRING THEM INTO THE HOUSE ONLY WHEN IT'S TIME TO EAT THEM.


You think you have enough will power? I dare you to say no when the pharmaceutical sales rep brings a tray of cheesy covered lasagna, alongside a three-layer cheesecake next time you're in the employee's lounge.  I dare you to go into a buffet and only eat from the salad bar. I double dog dare you to eat just one thin mint.

Ok, it can happen, but it's RARE, SHORT-LIVED, and NOT CONSISTENT.

All I'm saying is you for a certain period of time and to an extent, you have to SHAPE YOUR PATH AND ENVIRONMENT as much as you can, when you're trying to EAT BETTER. 

After an hour stare down, I beat the thin mints.  I put them back in the freezer and went about my day.

But then I came home later.....

And smashed them.

I lost the battle because they were still in my house.

The second box got tossed real fast.

#JUSTKEEPINGITREAL

Life is not about me. 
Coach Theo




No comments:

Post a Comment